A suspected gunman was shot by police in Washington resulting in the lockdown of Capitol building. The gunman told a judge he would violate orders to stay away from Capitol grounds. Authorities took a gunman into custody on Monday.

He pointed a weapon at officers during a daily screening at the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center in Washington, D.C. This caused an officer to shoot him.

He was thereafter treated by medical personnel. He was taken to MedStar Washington Hospital Center.

As the city was on extreme alert because of terrorist attacks in Europe, dozens of emergency vehicles were sent to the building and forced staff and visitors into lockdown.

The shooting took place at the entrance to the visitors’ center, an underground complex east of the Capitol building. Road barricades were set up, and police officers with automatic rifles were positioned on street corners.

Capitol Police Chief Matthew Verderosa said that the shooter, a Tennessee male, is believed to have been known to Capitol Police previously. He also said that he was undergoing surgery and that his condition was unknown.

“We believe this is an act of a single person who has frequented the Capitol grounds before, and there is no reason to believe this is anything more than a criminal act,” Verderosa said.

According to Verderosa, at least one officer opened fire and struck the gunman. He said police recovered a weapon on the scene, says Time.

Law enforcers believe the man is Larry Russell Dawson, a 66-year-old from Tennessee. Police described Dawson as a visitor and protester to Washington.

However, the officials have not been able to completely verify the true identity of the gunman.

A female bystander aged between 35 and 45 took a shrapnel injury. She suffered from a small injury and was taken to a hospital.

Verderosa did not give out any details about the woman.

While no officers were injured, Verderosa also added that it is still unclear how many officers fired their weapons.

The Capitol will be open on Tuesday, says The Washington Post.