Mercury soared past 42ºC at Sydney Airport shortly after 2 pm while a host of other suburbs approached 40ºC to see the city approach the record for the hottest November Day, reported ABC.

Penrith had hit 40.8ºC while Sydney Olympic Park, Bankstown, Gosford, Holdsworthy and Williamtown had all topped the 40ºC mark by 2 pm.

Wilcannia airport (43.2ºC) and White Cliffs (43.1ºC) in the state’s north west had recorded NSW’s two hottest temperatures in by early afternoon.

Bureau of Meteorology severe weather forecaster Mick Logan said the November record of 41.8C, which has remained unbroken since 1982, could tumble.

“We don’t see there being any real chance of a sea breeze to help keep things down at all. It will be hot and dry with westerly winds causing temperatures to soar.”

There is a bushfire at Berowra near the M1 Pacific Motorway with traffic affected both ways. Emergency services are on site.

The Hume Highway has also been closed in both directions at Goulburn due to a grass fire in the median strip.

Motorists have been advised to avoid the area. Those already in the area are being diverted through the Goulburn township, but should allow plenty of additional travel time.

Emergency services are on site working to put the fire out and traffic crews are also responding.

A small fire which started in dense bushland at Macquarie Fields which was briefly out of control has been contained by firefighters.

The blaze at Simmo’s Beach started about midday and quickly spread, but Rural Fire Service spokesman Paul Best said crews were mopping up and blacking out the scene by 1 pm.


He said it was too early to determine the cause of the fire which ignited just before midday.

A small scrub and grass fire which was briefly out of control near Wagga Wagga has been stabilised by fire fighters.

The fire broke out just before 11 am on Old Sydney Rd, Marinna in the state’s west.

“They are directly attacking the fire, there is no threat anymore,” said the RFS spokesman.

Police are also investigating a bushfire which broke out in the Blue Mountains town of Hazelbrook early this morning.

The fire, which started just after 4 am, engulfed about half a hectare of bushland but was quickly brought under control.

No property was damaged in the blaze, which police said could be suspicious.