Guess who’s coming to National City in season 2 of “Supergirl”? It is Kara Danvers’ (Melissa Benoist) cousin Superman of course. This time, he’ll be more than just a silhouette, a text message or some other references. He’ll appear in flesh and blood and accompany Supergirl.
Comic Book Resources (CBR) and Collider, among others, are reporting that Warner Bros. TV made an official announcement that Superman will appear in the first two episodes of “Supergirl” season 2. “The iconic character of Superman will first be seen visiting his cousin Kara in National City at the beginning of the series’ second season,” a statement from Warner Bros. read, reports Collider.
“Supergirl” Executive Producer Andrew Kreisberg said in a statement that “Greg [Berlanti], Ali [Adler] and I are beyond thrilled to welcome Clark Kent and his slightly-more-famous alter ego to the world of ‘Supergirl,’” mentions CBR.
Warner Bros. has said that they are in the process of selecting an actor to portray the Man of Steel in “Supergirl.” Many fans want actor Tom Welling (“Smallville”) in the role. “There’s people who would like it … there’s people who don’t like it, but I will tell you that no one has ever actually asked me to do it. So, I don’t know. It would be kind of odd. I don’t know who he is at that point. He would obviously be Superman … ” Welling told Buzzfeed writer Jarett Wieselman.
Superman has been kept in the shadows by the writers and producers for so long. His presence on the show, admittedly, would have diverted the attention away from Kara. Now that Supergirl has cemented her place in the hearts of fans and at National City, Superman’s appearance will serve to boost the second season. So, what could Superman be doing in National City? Here are five theories:
- Superman could swoop in and aid Kara in investigating whatever lies inside the space pod Kara found at the finale of season 1.
- He could join her in fighting off more dangerous superhuman threats that would be too much for Kara to handle on her own.
- There is a planned four-way crossover event involving “Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Legends of Tomorrow,” and “Supergirl.” Superman could lead them in a fight against some intergalactic threat.
- Superman could give some much needed worldly advice to Kara through his own experiences and reveal to her more secrets about Krypton.
- Brandon Routh (“Superman Returns”), who plays The Atom in “Legends of Tomorrow,” could once again play Superman as the multiverse in The CW allows for doppelgangers who are completely different people. That would be a pleasant surprise!
What are your theories on Superman visiting Kara in season 2? Sign off with your comments below.