Over 160 police officers and State Emergency Services have been searching for a five-year-old Queensland girl who ran away from her family and went missing on Sunday.

At around 4:30 pm on Sunday, the girl hid from her family on Nielsens Road close to Nerang’s M1 overpass but she did not return. The doorknocking of the girl “Jocelyn” turned into an investigation overnight. The girl has blonde hair and she is almost 115 cm tall. She was last seen in a dark pink T-shirt with a ladybird sketched on the front and denim shorts.

Acting inspector Shevlin confirmed having some information regarding the Queensland girl who was last seen at Carrara’s Alison Road at 5:30 pm on Sunday.  “We have a couple of confirmations of her approaching a residence,” he said. “There’s been no further confirmed sightings since then. There are a couple of medical conditions we need to be aware of and need to be sensitive towards.”

The participation of the public in the matter prompted the police to declare an emergency situation under the Public Safety Preservation Act, which has now been withdrawn. The officers have urged the public to look into their own properties and attend the search locations, which included Alexander Drive, Hinkler Drive as well as Explorer Way.

The residents have participated actively in the search operation. They have built small care packages for the girl so that if she was outside their home, she could use them. The packages contained food, water, blanket and teddies. It was later reported that the missing girl was the daughter of an employee of the Ray White Surfers Paradise at the Gold Coast agency. It volunteered people for the search mission after the revelation.

Ray White Surfers Paradise CEO Andrew Bell confirmed that many of his staff members have joined the search in Carrara and Nerang. He said that the missing girl’s mom was a valuable member of the team. “It would be gut-wrenching for any parent,” the Gold Coast Bulletin quoted him as saying. “A whole bunch of our staff are out here so it’s all hands on deck. We’ve just got to be supportive.”

It has been more than 16 hours since the Queensland girl went missing, but the search still continues.