An armed man was shot on Monday while trying to enter the US Capitol Visitors Center with his gun pointing the officers.

After the incident Capitol Police chief Matthew Verderosa said, “We believe this is an act of a single person who has frequented the Capitol grounds before, and there is no reason to believe this is anything more than a criminal act.”

The suspect was taken to a hospital, where he was undergoing surgery. His condition was not known. The weapon was recovered from the scene. Police also confirmed that a bystander suffered some minor injuries and was in a hospital for treatment.

After the incident, the US Capitol complex was locked down for almost an hour. Later, the House, Senate and Library of Congress have continued their regular business.

The law enforcement officials later identified the wounded suspect as Larry Russell Dawson, a minister from Tennessee. The 66-year-old minister was arrested in October 2015 after he allegedly interrupted Congress by shouting that he was a “prophet of God,” reported CNN. He was arrested on the charge of assaulting a police officer following his outburst at the Congress.

Dawson tried to go through the metal detectors at the US Capitol Visitors Center entrance. When the magnetometers beeped he was stopped by security. This is when he pulled out the weapon and point it at the officers. Consequently, he was shot by a capitol police officer.

Tennessee state records revealed that Dawson was a licensed funeral home director from 1972 to 2004. In 2004 his license expired and he tried to get it back thrice after that. But the authorities denied him the license on the basis of his moral character, reported Fox17 News.

A spokesperson from Williamson County School confirmed that Dawson worked as a school bus driver now and then from 1980 to 2001. But was subsequently fired by the school administration for writing an inappropriate letter to a student.

This incident at the Capitol Building occurred just after a few days of the  travel warning issued by the country following the Brussels attack. The security measures have already been tightened by authorities around the globe after the attacks.