Authorities have removed asbestos from the roof panel of the Perth Children’s Hospital to make it safer for workers.

The state government made the move following a letter drafted by Australian Medical Association’s state president Andrew Miller, where he addressed about the matter. He wrote it for Premier Colin Barnett as well as Health Minister John Day to bring their focus on the issue. The presence of asbestos on the roof panel of the hospital was unsafe of workers.

You Day confirmed that chrysotile, white asbestos were discovered from the roof panel of the building’s eighth floor. It is the substance that is already banned in the nation. The minister also added that workers were made to work on the roof panel on Monday and then were tested for asbestos presence on Tuesday. The result of the test came positive later.

The authorities have immediately sealed that part of the roof panel off but the rest of the parts of the building will be worked upon gradually. The presence of the asbestos, if continued, could affect two major projects of the state, which include Perth Stadium and Fiona Stanley.

In the letter, the ABC reported, Miller said that he was unsure if asbestos removal has been done properly as the substance is yet present in the hospital. “It’s just far too quick as far as we’re concerned, and we would like Comcare, the regulator, to explain exactly how it is that the site can be declared safe so quickly, including things like all the air conditioning ducts, and so on, which are in the vicinity of where this occurred,” Miller said.

Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union WA secretary Mick Buchan said that when he came to know about the presence of asbestos, his immediate concern was the health of the workers installing it in the buildings. He claimed that developer John Holland did not conduct any pre or on-site tests before installing the product. “Our view is there is no safe threshold when it comes to asbestos,” Buchan said as quoted by Perth Now.

“It’s another massive bungle by John Holland, who allowed this product to come on-site without being tested to ascertain if it met Australian safety standards.”