Malaysian authorities are under pressure over their handling of pedophile Richard Huckle case. The pressure has increased after British officials claimed that more than 18 months ago, they already informed their Malaysian counterparts about Huckle’s suspected behavior.
Pedophile Richard Huckle, 30, was arrested at Gatwick Airport when he arrived there from Malaysia in December 2014. He has been given 22 life sentences. Huckle has targeted, groomed and sexually assaulted children, as well as, babies. On Monday, he was sentenced to life in prison. Huckle assaulted more than 200 children in a span of 9 years. Richard Huckle won the confidence of the people by posing as an English teacher, photographer and philanthropist.
Nurul Izzah Anwar, a Member of Parliament for the opposition PKR, pointed that, “”I believe if indeed the Malaysian authorities failed to take reparatory steps since 2014, then an immediate investigation must be launched.”
“A serious breach of security of our borders, religious institutions and havens for underprivileged children [has] taken place and we must never allow this breach to repeat in [the] future,” she further stated.
Anwar also demanded that the result of the investigation must be presented to the Parliament.
Sharmila Sekaran, chairman of the welfare group Voice of the Children (VoC) said that the Malaysian authorities delayed providing help and counseling to the assaulted children by not responding to the information that British officials provided.
She added, “the fact is that from 2006 to 2014 he was here abusing our children. Why did we not know? Why did we not pick him up? We need to do some serious, honest soul-searching. His (action) was (a) systematic rampant abuse in our own backyard – how could it have gone undetected until someone else informed us?”
According to ABC, Britain’s National Crime Agency deputy director, Andrew Brennan, said that they have shared all information on the pedophile Richard Huckle with Malaysian authorities in November 2014. The British High Commission also said that since 2014 it has been engaged with Malaysia regarding the case.
Andrew Brenan said, “Let me assure you, we have met Malaysian authorities on a number of occasions throughout autumn of 2014. When it became clear they (Malaysia) didn’t have sufficient evidence to arrest him, we made the decision that we would arrest him in December 2014.”
On the contrary, Ong Chin Lan, a senior officer in the police’s Sexual, Women and Child Investigation Division said that NCA did not provide any information, as Huckle had been on trial.
As per New Straits Times Online, a leader of an Indian community which was frequented by Huckle confirmed that the Malaysian police only visited them on Monday for the first time.