New Zealand fires caused huge chaos around the nation with many families being displaced. However, the situation is now under control and people were returning home.

The New Zealand fires erupted on last Monday. However, it continued to spread to a huge area until Wednesday afternoon. Two huge smoke columns started spreading, thereby making the flames intense.

“A lot of people are asking why we weren’t putting water on it while it was burning away,” said Rural Fire sector boss Phil Crutchley. “We were looking at 100,000 kilowatts of temperature per square meter – any water we put on that just evaporated. We just pulled back, it was just too dangerous. There was nothing we could do that would have stopped that.”

Police have been investigating the New Zealand fires. The police have not yet hinted at any suspicion regarding the fire eruption while Prime Minister Bill English feels it might be a suspicious act. The fires not only destroyed homes but also affected the ecosystem adversely. Along with 11 homes, the fires also damaged over 2,000 hectares of scrub and forest.

New Zealand Fires: Not the Biggest But Most Traumatic

Civil Defense authorities have praised firefighters as they handled such a dangerous fire incident. Crutchley called the New Zealand fires “gut-wrenching.” He added that properties can be replaced but lives can not. Incident Controller Richard McNamara said that the fire incident was not the biggest but it was the most traumatic. It was really disappointing to see so many houses burning, he added.

“In terms of impact, yes, it’s the biggest in New Zealand history,” he said as quoted by New Zealand Herald. “I have faced bigger fires, I have seen more intense fires, but the impact this has had on the community – that’s the worst I’ve experienced.” “It’s disturbing when you see someone’s home burn down in the space of two minutes. But we’ve got to swallow that and move on and try to save then next one – and we did,” he added

Meanwhile, New Zealand Professional Firefighters Union Secretary Derek Best called an independent inquiry on Friday. He addressed media and said that firefighters were allowed to go home for 90 minutes on Monday, though they could not extinguish the fire.  He also said that after an hour and a half they were back to the scene. However, by the time they reached the spot, several residential, professional, and ecological areas were adversely affected, Best said.

Also Read:

NSW Bushfires Continue to Burn, Power Outages Disrupt Normal Life

Victoria Bushfires: 3 Communities Evacuated as Conditions Worsen