Greg Fisk, the mayor of Juneau, Alaska, has been found dead at a home in the city, the police department said on Monday, reported Reuters.

Police said they received a 911 call about 3:34 p.m. (7:34 p.m. ET) reporting that there was a dead person at the residence of Fisk, 70, who was elected mayor last month.

Police wouldn’t comment on the cause of death and said they hadn’t yet determined whether Fisk’s death was considered suspicious.

Fisk, a former fisheries specialist for the state Commerce Department, was a longtime civic activist, having served on numerous Juneau boards and commissions over the past decade. According to his campaign literature, he moved to Alaska in 1959, the year it became a state, and had lived in Juneau for 34 years.

According to KTVA, District 1 Assembly member and deputy Mayor Mary Becker confirmed she will step up as acting mayor.

“This is a devastating loss,” Becker said in a phone interview Monday.

Becker, who called Fisk a “personal family friend” to her and her husband, said the city attorney is working with the Assembly to determine what happens next. Her second term on the Assembly was to last until 2016, while Fisk was elected to serve until 2018.

Becker said it was unclear how Fisk’s death would affect the Assembly’s schedule, but did note the Assembly would continue their work on behalf of the city.

No other information was made public. The Juneau City Council canceled its scheduled meeting Monday night.

Fisk is the founder and owner of SeaFisk Consulting & Management, LLC., a Juneau-based company which provides consulting services for fisheries, and the Alaskan seafood industry.

SeaFisk has not been limited to consultations involving seafood. In 2012, SeaFisk collaborated with the Juneau Economic Development Council over a proposed downtown public shuttle, known as the Circulator.

When Greg Fisk’s son, Ian, graduated from the University of Oregon, they traveled to Ensenada, Mexico and bought a fishing vessel from the Mexican government. They sailed the vessel to Seattle, where they refurbished it. Both Fisk’s remained actively involved in the fishing industry.