It has already been announced that Disney and Lucasfilm will push forward with a fifth Indiana Jones film. Steven Spielberg (“The BFG”) and Harrison Ford will return to their respective director and star role with a script from David Koepp who worked with Spielberg on a number of films. Producer Frank Marshall has now revealed that the story for the fifth film will continue from where “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” left off.
After being named CinemaCon’s producer of the decade, Marshall, reports Variety, said during a Q&A on Monday that he is very excited to return to the “Indiana Jones” franchise. He revealed that the fifth Indiana Jones film will be a continuation of the story from the end of “Crystal Skull.” A release date for the film has already been set for July 19, 2019, which comes 11 years after the last Indiana Jones movie.
Marshall also added that the fifth movie in the series chronicling the adventures of Dr. Henry Jones Jr. will not be a prequel and Ford will not be replaced by any other actor. Marshall said they’re “not going to do the Bond thing,” whereby a new actor takes on the iconic role after the earlier one steps down. “We think those characters are iconic, and those are the only actors who can play that,” Marshall said.
What Marshall says chimes in with what director Steven Spielberg had told Screen Daily in December last year. “I don’t think anyone could replace Harrison as Indy, I don’t think that’s ever going to happen.” He had added that “It’s certainly not my intention to ever have another actor step into his shoes in the way there have been many actors that have played Spider-Man or Batman. There is only going to be one actor playing Indiana Jones and that’s Harrison Ford.” He reiterated his confidence in Harrison Ford, who is also a dear friend of his along with George Lucas, who created the character. “So as long as there’s more adventures out there, I’ve got a bullwhip, a fedora, a leather jacket and a man on a horse who knows how to get the job done.”
By the way, Harrison Ford is 73 years old, so a prequel is very much ruled out anyway. The actor though still has the same charm and goods, as he proved by reprising the Han Solo role for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”
It’s not known whether all the cast or even some of them (other than Ford) will return for the new Indiana Jones movie. Sean Connery refused to reprise his role as Indy’s father in “Crystal Skull” and was shown in the film to have passed away. It’s very possible that Shia LaBeouf won’t return as Mutt Williams after he publicly criticised the last film. Nothing is known about the rest of the cast so far. Karen Allen may or may not come back. Their absence could be cleverly explained by the script.