The rising Heat Waves have taken a toll on the Victorian Race. The ABC NET AU edition reported that Racing Victoria (RV) had re-scheduled the “Flemington to the morning with a 10:45 (AEDT) start when the predicted temperature was 39 degrees.” But the temperature has gone past 40 degrees now.

The temperature stood at 41 degrees when RV cancelled all meetings “including meets at Wangaratta and Colac in addition to the already-cancelled event in Yea,”due to  health and safety concerns.

RV chief executive Bernard Saundry was quoted as saying, “The weather across Victoria tomorrow will be extreme and we have taken a view, after examining the latest forecast, that it is in the best interests of all that we not conduct any race meetings”

“We have a responsibility to protect the health and safety of all participants, both human and equine, along with staff and patrons, in extreme weather conditions such as that forecast tomorrow.

“It’s an unfortunate situation for clubs and patrons who were preparing to gather and celebrate Christmas at racetracks across Victoria, but we are not prepared to take any risks in these extreme conditions.

“With a busy schedule of race meetings across the Christmas-New Year period, including eight on Boxing Day, we believe there are alternative opportunities for horses to compete in over the next two weeks.

“That said, we will review the racing programming for the next fortnight and add races to existing meetings where required to accommodate those impacted by tomorrow’s abandonments.”

There is no official word from the authorities as to when the race would be re-scheduled. If the temperature continues to flare up at this rate, it would be impossible for Racing Victoria to resume the meetings.

According to Sydney Morning Herald, the race would resume next week. The mercury level didn’t budge from the 41-degree mark.

Stay tuned for more updates on the Racing Event.