Dutch police detained a French national in the port city of Rotterdam on Sunday on the suspicion of planning attacks in France, prosecutors said.
The 32-year-old Frenchman was arrested after the French officials’ request on Friday, following an investigation.
“French authorities on Friday requested the arrest of this French national,” the Dutch prosecutor’s office said in a statement.
The French suspect is believed to have been planning attacks in France with a 34-year-old suspect, Reda Kriket, who was arrested on Thursday near Paris.
The Times of Israel reports that the French authorities have been looking for the 32-year-old suspect since December. He had links with a terrorist organisation. The detained Frenchman will be extradited to France shortly, which could take several days.
Moreover, three arrests were also made following the investigations on Sunday. Two of them aged 43 and 47 were suspected to have Algerian backgrounds while the third man’s identity was not immediately available.
The investigations were laid down at two homes in the city’s west. Police officials evacuated other neighbouring houses for the residents’ security.
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve praised the efforts made by the intelligence services who cooperated with Belgian and French authorities.
“Intelligence services work relentlessly to protect our territory in a context of high threat,” said Cazeneuve in a report by New Europe.
Following attacks in Brussels last week, which killed 31 people and injured more than 300, the Netherlands has propped up its security measures at airports, train stations and around the borders.
On Sunday, police in Brussels carried out 13 raids in Brussels and the northern towns of Mechelen and Duffel.
Business Insider reported that in the raid nine people were interrogated over terror links. Of those, five were released later.
The federal prosecutor’s office denied giving further information on the investigations.