The Joint Counter Terrorism team charged a 23-year-old man on his refusal to answer questions on NSW police staff Curtis Cheng’s murder.

The NSW Crime Commission interrogated Talal Alameddine, the offender, and was charged on 20 counts when he answered none of them. He was already on remand since his arrest in October 2015 following the death of the NSW police department’s accountant in September. He was imprisoned in Goulburn’s Supermax for charges over joining a homegrown terrorist group and supplying the firearm to 15-year-old Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar who murdered Cheng outside the Parramatta police station.

Police confirmed that Alameddine is in police custody and is due to be presented to the Goulburn Local Court later on Friday. Raban Alu, 18, and Mustafa Dirani, 22, are among those accused of forming a terrorist organisation concerned with the police employee murder. According to, both of them were arrested in January.

In addition to above charges, Alameddine is also blamed for being a part of a criminal group and is liable for tampering the evidence discovered. In February 2016, an 18-year-old woman was also arrested on charges of refusing to answer questions of the police for a number of times. According to The Guardian, the New South Wales Crime Commission and Australian Crime Commission are using their powers to a significant extent to investigate terrorism activities and question or coerce people on suspicion over their terrorism links.

“The man was charged with 20 counts of witness refuse to answer questions under the provisions of Section 25 (2)(b) of the Crime Commission Act (2012) (NSW). He was refused bail and is due to appear in Goulburn Local Court today (Friday 1 April 2016),” the statement from the NSW police stated.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Cheng was on his way home for the weekend when Jabar shot him outside NSW police headquarters. He worked for the finance and business division of NSW police where he worked for 17 years.