Melbourne turned smoky after Coolaroo factory fire broke out after midnight. The SKM Recycling Plant fire was attended by over 130 firefighters. The fire has now come under control on Tuesday morning.
At around 8:00 a.m. it was reported that the Coolaroo factory fire was under control, after five hours since it began. The residents near the scene have been warned to stay inside their houses to avoid toxic effects of the smoke.
Around 100 workers have been evacuated as the firefighters battled the blaze. The blaze was such that it caused an explosion, which prompted the fire crew members to get out if the building instantly.
The Coolaroo factory fire is the second such incident in the past eight days. The series of fire eruption events has come following five years of the plant being burnt down. “The firefighting efforts have had a significant impact on fire spread and smoke has begun to dissipate,” a statement from Melbourne fire crew read.
The firefighting efforts were interrupted because of the presence of the type of dense recycling materials being processed at the plant. The Coolaroo factory fire smoke billowed across the city and was visible from kilometers away, including Hoppers Crossing, Brighton, and the Melbourne CBD. A Watch and Act message has been placed for residents and passers-by.
The residents are expected to see the situation and act accordingly. Earlier, the authorities warned resident to keep their windows and vents closed and also keep their pets inside. However, the message was downgraded after 9:30 a.m. and the locals were allowed to open their doors and windows.
The MFB said that the efforts of the firefighters have been significant in bringing the situation under control. Crew members used foam to smoothen the fire as they burnt the dense recycling materials at the factory. Moreover, to assess the damage on the site, drones will be used.
Paramedics’ Instant Action After Coolaroo Factory Fire
Paramedics have urged people experiencing breathing issues to contact them for medical treatment. They have asked patients to call triple-0 immediately. On the other hand, police have stated that the Coolaroo factory fire was not being treated as suspicious.
Ambulance Victoria State Health Commander Paul Holman confirmed the treatment of a man with breathing problems. “He was treated by paramedics and he improved,” Herald Sun quoted Holman as saying. “The man wasn’t taken to the hospital.”
“Anyone located in areas affected by the smoke should take shelter indoors immediately. Close all exterior doors, windows, and vents and ensure that heating and cooling systems are turned off. If you are experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty call 000. If you need medical advice for exposure to smoke, contact your GP or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.”