Over 100 firefighters have arrived at a Sydney address to control Chullora fire that has caused huge damage to a recycling center. They were called to the Suez Resource Recovery Park on Muir Road on Thursday morning.

The Chullora fire is said to have broken out in the paper and plastic division of the rehabilitation center. Massive plumes of smoke were seen coming out of the unit that spread to 25 kilometers across the city. Firefighters confirmed evacuation of the rehabilitation unit.

A spokeswoman from Fire and Rescue Services said that Chullora fire caused huge damage to the roof of the center, leading to its collapse. However, the fire has been contained.  “The westerly wind is taking smoke in an easterly direction and we have notified Bankstown Airport of the smoke hazard,” the spokeswoman said. “It will take a little while, they are still in defensive mode,” she added. “It will be a protracted incident.”

The nearby factories in the area have also been evacuated, given to the intensity of the fire and its capacity to spread. According to reports, the building contained quite flammable objects inside, including paper, plastic, and carpet. At around 11 a.m., firefighters contained the blaze to the unit. However, the Chullora fire still seemed to be out of control.

Firefighters Still Trying to Control Chullora Fire

Fire and Rescue NSW Superintendent Ian Krimmer said that it was difficult for firefighters to enter the partially collapsed 120 by 70 meters building. Firefighters attacked the blaze from both sides of the building. The Sydney Morning Herald mentioned that the firefighters also made efforts to cool down large gas cylinders at the back of the waste management center.

An NSW Ambulance spokesman said that they had treated no patients yet. On the other hand, NSW Environment Protection Authority said that it sent officers to the Chullora fire site as soon as it came to know about the incident.

The Chullora fire caused the closure of Anzac and Bunker roads. The commuters have been asked to be out of that area. Commuter James Dixon, who was driving from Menai, said that he noticed a thick plume of smoke.  “I thought ‘that is Bankstown Airport, a small plane must have crashed’, but as I came up passed Bankstown I came down and was told it was a recycling factory,” Dixon said.

Also Read:

Melbourne Weather: Total Fire Ban Issued for Safety

New Zealand Fires: Displaced Families Returning Home