A three-vehicle crash on the M7 motorway in Cecil Hills on Tuesday resulted in the death of a woman. The incident caused the highway to be closed down in one direction for several hours. All northbound lanes, the traffic on which was jammed for 10 kilometres, have now been opened.

A woman, 54, who was driving one of the cars, died in the collision which occurred around two kilometres from the Horsley Drive and near the Elizabeth Drive intersection in Cecil Hills. The incident took place at 6 a.m. in wet weather.

Emergency services arrived the scene at 6:15 a.m. and set up diversions while the rescuers attended to the woman. However, she died at the scene, the Daily Telegraph reported. The rest of the three drivers survived the accident uninjured but they were taken to the Farfield Hospital for mandatory blood and alcohol testing.

A Volkswagen Caddy, a Toyota Corolla, a Toyota Utility, and a truck were involved in the crash. The investigators are now probing the cause of the collision, Skynews reported.

The northbound lanes were reopened at 8:30 a.m. Due to slow traffic movement, commuters have been advised to be patient until the flow returns to normal. The southbound delays stretch for around 6 kilometres. Commuters affected by the crash took to the social media to express their concerns.

“Delayed 80 mins due to #M7 crash. It was a brutal crawl for over 50 minutes, but my prayers go out to the woman whose life was lost. #RIP,” tweeted Gelina Montierro, a commuter.

Another netizen wrote, “If @mikebairdMP & the @lgnsw want to stop fatalities on the #M7 then they need to keep trucks in the left lane like Europe #worstmanagedroad.”

Three city bound lanes had to be closed down following the accident but the traffic remained slow for several hours after the lanes were reopened. The traffic jam had reached 14 kilometres and the buses were delayed by 30 minutes, the ABC reported.

This isn’t the first time that a massive accident on a highway caused delays in traffic at the peak hours in Sydney. In January, a car and a truck collided around 6:50 a.m. on the M4 motorway, about a kilometre from the Home Bush Bay Drive.

However, that incident didn’t result in any fatality. The fire and rescue authorities were able to save a person who was trapped in the crash.