The 2016 Cannes Film Festival ended on a high note for the Philippines as its very own Jaclyn Jose won Best Actress for her role in “Ma’ Rosa.” The film is the fourth movie entry of acclaimed director Brillante Mendoza to the annual prestigious event.
Her victory at Cannes is a first for the Philippines, Preen.Inquirer.net noted. Thus, it is certainly a proud occasion for the country. The event also appeared to be a family event as well as her daughter, actress Andi Eigenmann, received the best-dressed nod from Vanity Fair, the publication added. Eigenmann is also part of the cast of “Ma’ Rosa.” She shared her pride over her mum’s victory at Cannes on Twitter.
Cannes jury member actor Mads Mikkelsen spoke about Jose’s victory, in light of those who questioned it. “We found her to be a wonderful leading actress, a master of her skills. It was not a supporting character,” Mikkelsen said.
Learn more about the 2016 Cannes Best Actress through these 5 fast facts about her.
1. Jaclyn Jose is a veteran actress of Philippine cinema and television. She’s received various acting awards and nominations throughout her 30 years in the industry, Rappler wrote. However, the actress admitted “Ma’ Rosa” was her biggest acting challenge as it required her “not to act” and to “tone everything down to zero” to achieve a realistic performance.
2. Her reputation as a hard-working actress is well-known in Philippine showbiz.
3. She currently plays the role of a “spoiled, rich woman” on a popular local soap opera, “The Millionaire’s Wife,” the publication added. However, her versatility knows no bounds as she’s also starred in comedies, horror flicks, and romance films.
4. Jose, whose real name is Mary Jane Santa Ana Guck, is the daughter of a Filipina mother and an American serviceman father, the publication revealed. Her delicate beauty earned her fame in the local entertainment industry.
5. She is the proud and protective grandmother of Andi Eigenmann’s daughter Ellie, CocoMNL wrote. Jose issued a warning to anyone who would harm her grandchild. “Leave Ellie alone. Leave my granddaughter alone,” Jose warned. To date, the identity of the child’s father is unknown. However, the grandmother maintains a no DNA test policy to reveal who it is.