A baby sitter in California was arrested for attempting to smother a one-year-old child by putting her hand over the baby’s mouth in an attempt to make him stop crying.

According to the court documents, when the baby “went limp, Moriah lifted him up and flung him over her shoulder in a supine position, the back of his head resting on her shoulder.”

After that, 20–year-old Moriah Gonzales removed her hand, put him in the crib and left the room, reported news.com.au. Police informed that Gonzales was interviewed as part of investigation. The responses given by her are totally different from the CCTV footage which captured the whole incident.

In the video Gonzales paced the room while the child was crying. She then lowered him into the crib and put her hands near his face. Slowly his cry became muffled as her hands moved closer to his face. After a few moments the little one started kicking and squirming. Police reported that he then went limp, as stated by Kron4.

Police contacted Gonzales to enquire and the version she gave was totally contrary to the video footage.

The baby sitter is charged with child abuse. She was hired through the popular babysitting website care.com.

A statement by the website read, “We are deeply troubled by this incident and our thoughts are with the family … the safety of our community is of paramount importance to us and we have proactively contacted local law enforcement to provide whatever assistance we can in this matter.”

Care.com spokeswoman Nancy Bushkin advised the parents that they recommend the parents to purchase a background check of the nannies once they had zeroed down into a choice. She further stated that it could be purchased at any time in the process. Caregivers can also purchase a background check of the parents.

The parents of the baby boy are identified only as Amanda and Nicole. The incident was reported to the police on 18th February and the parents showed the video footage to Livermore Police as evidence.

The footage was first discovered by Nicole when she came back home on 3 pm on 18 February.

Recently, there was a report about a boyfriend who kept his girlfriend in a dog crate for six months in California.