A school student was killed in a “homemade model rocket” explosion in California, authorities said. Bernard Moon, an 18-year-old student at Thousand Oaks School was the accident’s casualty.  Another 17-year-old student got injured in the explosion.

The explosion occurred at Madrona Elementary School in Thousand Oaks at around 7:40 pm Monday. Barnard Moon was rushed to the Los Robles Hospital immediately but he later succumbed to the injuries. The other student whose name is not mentioned sustained non-life-threatening injuries, reported Daily News.

An emergency crew rushed to the site and found both students on the school campus. Barnard Moon and his friend created a “homemade model rocket” that was attached to a skateboard. It was reportedly their science fair project. A small propane cylinder was found on the scene.

According to the authorities, when the device didn’t go off, Bernard went to check on it and then the explosion happened.

Sheriff’s detective Tim Lohman informed that the chemicals used in the project caused the accident. The Schools Twitter post read, “Our hearts are broken. The bonds of faculty, staff, & students will bring healing. Thank you to all for your support at this time.”

Social media platforms are flooded with tributes.

A person wrote, “Such a brilliant mind with such a bright future. My thoughts are with the family. Rest in peace.”

Another person wrote, “Sad night. Bernard Moon, an AP physics classmate of my daughters, both interviewed for Brown together, died. Making a BLT rocket for school.”

Moon was graduating in two months. He use to play tennis in the school and aspired to be an electrical engineer. Moon was also placed in the Ventura County Science Fair in 2014 and 2015, reported KTLA5.

School district officials said that the school was closed “out of an abundance of caution” Tuesday, but will open on Wednesday.

Explosive chemicals in public places can always be life-threatening. A few weeks ago eight people were killed and seven injured in a chemical explosion in a Bangkok bank.