RACQ’s 2015 Australia’s Best Car competition has declared the Mazda CX-3 MAXX AWD SUV as the winner following the motoring clubs’ testing of almost 180 cars belonging to 15 different categories.
The judges were impressed to see the safety features installed within the cars. While Mazda CX-3 won the Judge’s Choice award, Hyundai Genesis won Best Large Car under $70,000 because of its exciting safety features and rating. The 15 different car categories included the RACQ, RAA, NRMA, RACT, RACV, and AANT.
The safety features installed in Volvo XC90’s were also recognised by the motoring clubs during the competition that prompted it to receive the Best All-Wheel Drive award at the event. The Mercedes Benz C200 that helps in tracking a driver’s distraction and fatigue won Best Medium-range Car worth $50,000 onwards.
Judges praised Mazda CX-3 MAXX AWD SUV for its significant resale value based on the quality and comfort that it provides. The road toll at Queensland has reached 39, which was 13 more than that at the same time in 2015. Police has claimed that safety features of the vehicles do not affect the roadways. “The average age of the fleet in Queensland is 10 years, so a lot of people in the future will be changing cars,” Queensland Police Service’s Mike Keating said as quoted via 9News. “We’d strongly recommend that they look at safety features, and that’s what these awards recognise today.”
Other category winners included the city car category’s Mitsubishi Mirage, small model category’s Hyundai i30 and ute category’s Toyota Hilux. In addition, the Kia Sorento won Best Family SUV as the Carsguide Car of the Year category. The motoring clubs decided not to include Audi, Skoda, and Volkswagen in the nominations due to their involvement in the diesel emissions scandal.
The RACQ’s car of the year awards are organised usually in November of the same year, but the 2015 awards were delayed until early 2016 because of the pollution-testing scandal.
Complete List of Winners in Different Categories
- Mitsubishi Mirage (Best City Car)
- Hyundai Accent (Best Light Car)
- Hyundai i30 (Best Small Car)
- BMW 1 Series (Best Small Luxury Car)
- Kia Optima (Best Mid-Sized Sedan)
- Mercedes-Benz C200 (Best Luxury Mid-Sized Vehicle)
- Hyundai Genesis (Best Luxury Car)
- Kia Sorento 2WD (Best Family Car)
- Ford Focus ST (Best Performance Car below $50,000)
- Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG (Best Performance Car above $50,000)
- Mazda CX-3 (Best City SUV)
- Subaru Outback (Best Family SUV below $50,000)
- Kia Sorento 4WD (Best Family SUV above $50,000)
- Volvo XC90 (Best Luxury SUV)
- Toyota HiLux (Best Four-Door Ute)