Former “X Factor” Australia contestant was killed in a car crash over the weekend.
South Australian police said 19-year-old musician Nathaniel O’Brien was driving down the Barrier Highway, near Burra, when his car hit a tree. He died at the scene.
O’Brien was alone in the vehicle when the accident occurred, ABC reported.
O’Brien was a contestant of “X Factor” Australia last year. He made it through the initial boot camp and became one of the top 24 contestants on the Channel Seven show. He won a session with actress and singer Natalie Bassingthwaighte.
The Herald Sun reported that O’Brien had spent the morning performing at the Burra Country Music Festival, and was heading to Adelaide for a performance in the evening.
Bassingthwaighte expressed sadness on Twitter, saying O’Brien had the “voice of an angel”.
“X Factor” host Luke Jacobz said the thoughts and prayers of those who worked on Australia’s TV singing competition were with O’Brien’s family and friends.
Singer/songwriter Lyn Bowtell also expressed her sadness on Twitter.
Fans and friends also took to social media to paid tribute to the teenage singer.
South Australia Police said crash investigators were examining the circumstances surrounding the crash, Sydney Morning Herald reported.
O’Brien started singing at a very young age. He won Adelaide’s Next Superstar in 2012.
His family is also involved in the country music scene. In his performance last Sunday, he was photographed singing and playing guitar on stage with his sister, Tracey Rains. Their parents started Country Music South Australia and had organized the Burra Country Music Festival, Sydney Morning Herald noted, citing veteran country music host Wally Sparrow.
Sparrow described O’Brien as a singer with spectacular, pitch-perfect voice.
“Once he got on stage his persona came through like 100 per cent, so it’s the voice,” he said.
Nathaniel was also a finalist in the Australian Country Music People’s Choice awards, which are due to be announced in January.