Cyrus Villanueva has been crowned “X Factor” Australia 2015 winner Tuesday night after beating fellow contestant Louise Adams in a two-day grand final.
Cyrus’ rendition of Chris Isaak’s hit song, Wicked Games, wowed the judges, and mentor James Blunt even gushed to Cyrus, “If I were a girl, I’d fancy the pants off you.”
Here are some fun facts about the 2015 grand winner of “X Factor” Australia.
1. Villanueva was not ashamed to sob in front of millions of viewers. Cyrus was evidently overwhelmed by emotions following the announcement that he almost forgot to perform his new winner’s single “Stone.” After the first couple of lines of the song, Cyrus burst into tears while standing in the middle of the stage, Daily Mail reported.
2. The Fil-Aussie teen is now a recording artist of Sony Music and his new single, “Stone,” is now available on iTunes.
3. Cyrus is now a big star and already has a famous fan – One Direction member Liam Payne.
Following the announcement of the winner, Liam tweeted: “Yay, Cyrus won. He is truly incredible,” Sydney Morning Herald wrote.
4. Cyrus has been a consistent front runner in the competition. He was the only contestant that has never been in the bottom two.
He also followed the footsteps of another Filipino, 16-year-old Marlisa Punzalan, who won last year’s “X Factor” Australia. Cyrus is also the first male “X Factor” winner since Reece Mastin in 2011, msn.com noted.
5. The 19-year-old Wollongong singer is the youngest in this season of “X Factor” Australia, The National noted. He was also a student of graphic design before he joined the competition.
6. Both of Cyrus’ parents are musicians, while Cyrus himself performed at bars and weddings before joining “X Factor.” Villanueva’s father is a Filipino and his mother is Australian.
7. The new Australian star may probably launch an international career. Cyrus earlier told Daily Telegraph that if in case he doesn’t win this year’s title, he is thinking of breaking out a career overseas, possibly in the Philippines or America. Now that he won the title, his horizon becomes wider.