Police carried out raids on homes in Sydney’s west following threats made against a police station, reported AAP.

The operation spearheaded by the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad began on separate streets in Merrylands in Sydney’s southwest after 6 am on Wednesday.

“Any threat to a police station, any threat to police officers, indeed any threat to the community is taken very seriously as you can see by the action we took today,” Assistant Commissioner Mark Jenkins told reporters in Sydney.

“These searches were a direct result of that specific information, investigations,” he said.

“We are constantly watching and listening and investigating, but these particular searches were conducted as a result of specific information. We make no apologies for that,” he added.

Mr Jenkins said with the heightened threat across the country, police take all threats seriously.

No items of interest were found during Wednesday’s raids, he said, but police will continue their investigations.

Two properties were raided, including one linked to the terror-related death of police accountant Curtis Cheng on October 2.

A large number of officers descended on premises in Lockwood St, where they searched three cars, and neighbouring Blackwood Road on Wednesday.

The two-storey Lockwood St home was in the sights of investigators two months ago after Mr Cheng was shot dead outside the Parramatta police headquarters by 15-year-old Farhad Jabar.

It’s believed to be the family home of 22-year-old Talal Alameddine, who’s accused of providing the gun used in the fatal shooting of Mr. Cheng.

The second home is the residence of Osman Haouchar.

According to ABC, Alameddine was arrested and released without charge after police raids on October 7.

He was rearrested a week later and charged with supplying the gun, breaching a firearms prohibition order and hindering police.

Alameddine remains in police custody.

Last month, Alameddine’s lawyers applied for bail, but Magistrate Margaret McGlynn refused, saying she believed he posed ‘a great threat to the safety of the community’.

Alameddine is due to appear in court next week.

Jabar was shot dead outside police headquarters on October 2 when officers returned fire.