A Sydney-based mountain biker has reportedly suffered third-degree burns after his phone exploded in his pocket. The accident took place while the victim was mountain biking at the Manly Dam reserve near Sydney on Sunday afternoon.

It all happened when Gareth Clear, 36, was riding his mountain bike and suddenly fell off, eventually landing on his iPhone 6. Following this, the device suddenly exploded, as a result of which he suffered injuries. The blast “melted through his shorts and two layers of his skin on his upper right thigh.”

The victim did not suffer any major injury due to the fall, but the burns caused by the blowup required a skin graft, the Sydney Morning Herald reports. Clear has described it as a painful experience, though he is slowly recovering now.

Clear said he had been using the phone for the last 18 years. “I suddenly saw this incredible plume of smoke. And there was a searing pain that went along with it – as though someone had pushed a huge block of ice against my leg. It was pretty freaking painful,” the biker told The Daily Telegraph.

The victim reportedly tried to take off his melting biking shorts, but ended up burning his fingers. Thereafter, he used his fist to punch the phone off his burning skin. He was later sent to the burns unit at the Royal North Shore Hospital for treatment and is expected to recover within a few weeks.

According to Dr Da Wei-Wang from the University of New South Wales’ Faculty of Chemical Engineering, the explosion possibly occurred due to overheating and faulty design of the mobile phone’s structure.

“I think many examples show that if you search on Google, there are many images of mobile phones that have been overcharged, which may cause them to overheat,” he said. On the other hand, Apple assured that they’d be investigating the matter soon.