A seven-year-old girl named Summer Grant died at Harlow Town Park on Saturday afternoon. She was playing in a bouncy castle when the high winds blew. The winds had blown the castle 150 metres high.
Essex Police said that the girl died from multiple injuries after a post-mortem examination on Sunday.
The girl was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital soon after which she died. Detectives appointed at the crime spot have urged the public who have the video footage to contact them.”This is a very tragic incident where a young girl has lost her life. My deepest sympathies go out to her family,” Detective Inspector Daniel Stoten said.
Flowers and an Easter basket were at the park’s entrance while a card on a bunch of flowers read: “God has taken a beautiful girl for his angel. RIP Princess,” reports Evening Standard.
“It was a sudden gust. Had it been a consistent wind they would have closed down all the inflatables,” Ray Smith, one of the representatives said.
The 27-year-old man and 24-year-old woman, from Cambridgeshire, who were suspected of manslaughter following the death of the child, have been released on bail, the Daily Mail reports.
The town had been shocked by the tragedy, Councilor Jon Clempner, leader of Harlow Council, said. “I can’t imagine the heartache of the parents and family of the little girl who has died, and my thoughts are with them,” he said.
Bouncy castle seems to be an extreme cause of tragedy. Last year the castle collapsed while children were playing on it and three children had been injured.
Conservative MP for Harlow Robert Halfon said, “I will be asking the relevant authorities to start an urgent inquiry as to how this tragedy happened, and to find out who is responsible, especially given events last year, and to consider whether bouncy castles such as this should be banned from Harlow Town fairs, until we can be sure that they are completely safe, so such a horrific tragedy never happens again.”