Contrary to the rumors that Prince died because of Percocet overdose, toxicology results revealed that he accidentally overdosed while taking opioid Fentanyl. The official cause was unveiled by Midwest Medical Examination Office just moments ago.
The iconic artist was pronounced dead on April 21 at 10:07 am. He was found unconscious in an elevator located at Paisley Park. He was 57 years old.
The report from the medical office did not elaborate further details, like how the drug was taken and whether it was prescribed or illegally bought. However, it is stated that Prince was wearing “a black cap, shirt, pants, boxer briefs and socks and a gray undershirt,” reports CNN.
Check the copy of the test results below:
Prince Rogers Nelson investigation results attached pic.twitter.com/CMt6lQSGxJ
— Midwest Medical Exam (@MidwestMedExam) June 2, 2016
According to the online media outlet, Fentanyl has been one of the most common abused prescription drugs in the United States. For more information, here are the 7 major facts that the public should know about the medicine that took Prince’ life:
- Based on the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, the drugs is specially made to treat cancer but must be taken accordingly. Fentanyl is 25-50% more “potent” than heroin and 50-100 more potent than morphine.
- In a collective effort to describe the drug in layman’s term, Wikipedia sums its description as “potent, synthetic opioid analgesic with rapid onset and short duration of action.”
- Additionally, Hollywood Life noted that Fentanyl is classified as a narcotic drug that is susceptible to be abused because of its contents.
- Fentanyl can cause severe respiratory failure and is highly fatal when taken in large doses without a doctor’s consent, according to DrugFree.org.
- Most of the widely known brands of Fentanyl are Duragesic, Abstral, and Subsys.
- Apart from causing respiratory distress as a long term effect, the side effects of abusing the pharmaceutical drugs are dry mouth, headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation, and anxiety.
- As stated by the online celebrity mag, Fentanyl will now be known simply as the drug that took Prince’ life.