Phillip Hughes Death: Inquest Begins on Cricketer’s Death

Philip Hughes

The Australian cricketer Philip Hughes’ inquest begins today to look at the emergency response and nature of the play. Hughes died during the match at the Sydney Cricket Ground and was struck by a cricket ball on the neck in November 2014.

The opening of the five-day inquest into the death of Hughes went tough as it played the footage of the moment Hughes was felled by a ball at the Sydney Cricket Ground. However, after the footage was shown, Philip’s family members left the courtroom.

In a report by The Daily Telegraph, inquest was told that the NSW player Doug Bollinger made a comment saying “I’m going to kill you” during the game and was in the direction of two South Australian batsmen. Hughes was one of them.

Also Read: Phillip Hughes Death: No Guarantee on Cricket Legend’s Life Even with Stronger Helmets

Hughes’ family raised the comment made by Bollinger with the police. However, upon investigation after a year of Philip’s death, players could not remember such comment being made during the game back in 2014.

According to counsel Kristina Stern assisting the coroner’s investigation, based on the medical testimony of Hughes, a different kind of helmet may have done little to protect Hughes.

Stern also stated that the emergency response during the incident had nothing to do with Hughes’ death. “There’s no sign that the emergency response had any impact on the death of Phillip Hughes, which appears to have been inevitable from the point of impact”.

Also Read: AFL Grand Final 2016: Western Bulldogs Defeat Sydney Swans

 In an interview shared by The Sydney Morning Herald, Cricket Australia Chief Executive James Sutherland said that the opening of the inquest is a reminder of the sad reality that Phillip is no longer with them.

Sutherland shared how they feel what Philip’s family is feeling right now. “Our thoughts are also with Phillip’s cricket friends, his teammates and best mates.” He also emphasized the trauma felt by the people who were with Philip on the ground at that time.

The 25-year-old cricketer died after the injury to his neck caused a hemorrhage in his brain due to a torn vertebral artery, leading to his death on November 27.

The inquest will also focus on the nature of play on the day of the Sheffield Shield match.

To Top