Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam had brutal intentions of carrying out new terror attacks in Brussels, before his detention last week.
Belgium’s Foreign Minister Didier Reynders said that authorities have come across a new hidden terror network with lots of heavy weapons.
“He was ready to restart something from Brussels.That is maybe the reality because we have found a lot of heavy weapons and we have seen a new network around him,” said Reynders in a report by Slate.
Abdeslam (26), the only surviving suspect in the Paris attacks – which claimed 130 lives on November 2015, was arrested last Friday in a raid. His arrest came after police found his fingerprints in a flat in another Brussels district, Forest, on Tuesday. He was shot in the leg and was captured 500 metres away from his home in Molenbeek. He was later taken to a hospital and discharged on Saturday. Currently, he is under high-security surveillance in a prison in the Belgian city of Bruges.
Belgian prosecutors said that along with Abdeslam, another terrorist suspect, Monir Ahmed Alaaj, was arrested the same day.
According to BBC, Abdeslam fled to the Molenbeek district of Brussels soon after the November attacks.
French President Francois Hollande last Friday said that there were more people involved in the Paris attacks than earlier suspected. Authorities are scouting for two men believed to be among the major suspects.
Paris prosecutor Francois Molins revealed that Abdeslam thought of blowing himself in the Paris attacks on the Paris stadium, where the French and German national soccer teams were playing that day; but he backed out.
However, Abdeslam’s lawyer, Sven Mary, said that he will take legal actions against Molins for disclosing information and breaching the confidentiality of the investigation.
In NBC’s report, Justice Minister Koen Geens said that Abdeslam is scheduled to face court on Wednesday. He is expected to be extradited to France within the next three months.