Deshauna Barber from the District of Columbia bested 51 other women from across the United States to be crowned Miss USA 2016. This year’s pageant presented a wide array of candidates that certainly made the contest more thrilling to watch.
Deshauna Barber broke down in tears after the announcement of her victory over Miss Hawaii Chelsea Hardin, Bustle wrote. Here are five facts to know about Miss USA 2016.
1. The newly crowned beauty queen is an army officer, NBC Washington revealed. Her answer about women in combat certainly revealed how tough Deshauna Barber is. “As a woman in the United States Army, I think … we are just as tough as men. As a commander of my unit, I’m powerful, I am dedicated. Gender does not limit us in the United States,” the publication quoted Deshauna Barber’s answer.
Her response sent shockwaves throughout Twitterverse as users expressed their pride for Deshauna Barber, the Independent Journal reported.
2. She was born and raised in a military family, HollywoodLife revealed. Her father saw action in Iraq in 2001. When she was 17, Deshauna Barber enlisted in the army.
3. She currently serves as the Logistics Commander of the 988th Quartermaster Detachment Unit at Fort Meade, Maryland. She also works as an IT analyst for the US Department of Commerce, the publication added.
4. Barber’s platform focuses on PTSD treatment for soldiers after their deployment, Us Weekly wrote. She is also an advocate of gender equality in the military service, Heavy.com added. Even during pageant week, the candidate from the District of Columbia took part in activities to help military families, HollywoodLife added.
5. However, Barber makes it a point to indulge in other activities away from the military. She dances and enjoys spending quality with her family when she can, HollywoodLife revealed.