‘Jungle Book’ Movie Cancelled Due to ‘Wonder Woman’ Movie’s Early Release?

Jungle Book

Has “Jungle Book: Origins” really been cancelled? Was the project pushed back to give way for the “Wonder Woman” movie?

According to the Hollywood Reporter, this is not the case. “Jungle Book” has not been cancelled. It will just hit theatres later than earlier scheduled. On the other hand, “Wonder Woman” is indeed getting an earlier release. But it has nothing to do with the “Origins” delay. Warner Bros’ take on the Rudyard Kipling’s classic will move back an entire year. It was earlier scheduled to be released in October 2017.  The movie is now expected to hit theatres on October 19, 2018. What then caused the delay?

Filming for the movie reportedly begun around March last year. But, according to Collider, production seems to be facing “technological issues.” The news site said this should not come as a surprise since “Origins” is envisioned as an entirely motion-capture animated film.

The movie will be directed by “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” actor Andy Serkis. He recently took to Facebook to talk about the delay. “I’m absolutely thrilled that Warner Bros. have changed the delivery date of ‘Jungle Book: Origins.’ The ambition for this project is huge,” Serkis wrote. The director also assured fans his film is not getting cancelled. “What we are attempting is an unprecedented level of psychological and emotional nuance…So, every minute more that we have to evolve the technological pipeline will make all the difference. The evidence is there already. And it’s off the chain exciting. So hang on in there,” Serkis said.

“Origins” will have an all-star cast, including Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, and Naomie Harris. “Doctor Strange” actor Benedict Cumberbatch is also joining the cast as the villainous tiger Shere Khan.

Meanwhile,  the “Wonder Woman” solo movie will still be released in 2017 but on an earlier date, June 2, 2017.

To Top