A court in Japan’s Shiga Prefecture has ordered to shut down the two nuclear reactors operating in the country on Wednesday. Previously, both the nuclear reactors were declared as safe under post-Fukushima safety rules. The decision came just two days before the fifth anniversary of the nuclear disaster.
The decision is cited based on the insufficient safety measures. There will only be two nuclear reactors in the country after the shutdown. The Takahama nuclear Plant has been ordered to be shut-off immediately. The utility firm said that it would appeal against the ruling, reported BBC. Kansai Electric said that it would shut the plants.
The Kansai Electric’s No.3 and No.4 reactors are ordered to be shut down though only No.3 is currently running. The No.4 reactor was taken offline last month due to some technical problem just a few days after it restarted.
The Japanese government and the power companies have been trying hard to bring the nuclear industry back on its feet. The shutdown will be a blow to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s bid to bring back the industry, as stated by Japan Today.
The presiding judge said that close-down of the reactors is due to the fact that Kansai Electric has not submitted the requirements. The company has not given the complete details of its upgraded safety measures in the two nuclear reactors under the new safety guidelines. The judge also stated that the company failed to explain how it would deal with power loss and how to carry out evacuation plans in case of an accident or tsunami.
Local media showed television footage of people cheering the decision by the court. Some of them expressed their happiness about the court’s decision. Notably, the case was filed by the people in Shiga Prefecture who argued that the reactors were a risk to Lake Biwa, which is the main water source for the region.
Hisayo Takada, deputy program director at Greenpeace Japan said, “This is a landmark victory for people living in the shadow of shut-down reactors across Japan and a devastating blow against the nuclear industry and the policies of the Abe government.”
He added, ““It’s a clear message that nuclear power has no place in Japan’s energy future.”
In the 2011 Fukushima disaster around 16,000 people died and 2,500 are still missing. These deaths were, however, not directly linked to the disaster.
Nuclear reactors are always threatening people living in the area. In the recent volcanic eruption in Sakurajima, entry in the area was banned. Apparently, one of the reason of this ban was that it is located 30 miles away from Sendai Nuclear Power Station. It was also observed by the experts that there was a rise in cancer among children in the Fukushima area.