Five terror suspects, who allegedly prepared to flee to Indonesia by boat so they could join Islamic State in Syria, are going to face jail life. They are going to be extradited now that they are being charged with terror offences.
According to official reports, their journey would have started in a small motor boat. The boat would have taken them to Indonesia and the Philippines.
The suspects were booked last night after they had spent five days in custody. The five suspects were arrested near Cairns, while they were towing a seven-metre fishing boat en route to Cape York in far North Queensland.
The men included Islamic preacher Musa Cerantonio, says Sky News.
Aged between 21 and 31, the men were charged on Saturday with planning to enter a foreign nation for the purpose of getting involved in hostile activities. It is an offense that carries a highest penalty of life imprisonment.
Attorney-General George Brandis told that the five suspect’s intentions to travel to the Middle East to get involved in terrorism, war and hostility. According to him, authorities knew about these.
While talking to reporters on Sunday, Brandis stated that the passports of the arrested men had earlier been cancelled. The five men, who are in custody since Tuesday, will be making an appearance in court on Monday.
According to Reuters, Brandis also stated when it became apparent to the terror suspects that they could not leave “in an orthodox way, they remained under surveillance so that if they attempted to leave the country in this very unusual way they would be able to be stopped and they were.”
Although this plot is of an unusual character, and Brandis believes that it has been ridiculed, however, these are serious crimes, he says.
According to 9 News, Senator Brandis said that the authorities wanted to extradite the five terror suspects to Melbourne to face court. This is because it was in Melbourne, where they supposedly planned their trip to Syria.