As of late, Huawei has been stepping up its game in the smartphone industry. The Chinese handset manufacturer has been successful in its strides, with the company managing to become a partner of Google for last year’s Nexus phones, not to mention its flagships that have been the talk of the town recently. Now, it seems that the company is firing up another product set to conquer the world of photography. Through its partnership with Leica, the company has just announced the Huawei P9 smartphone, a new handset that seeks to reinvent the smartphone photography. Here are the things that you should know.
1. The Huawei P9 is equipped with a dual camera setup that the company co-developed with German camera specialist Leica. It comes with two 12MP primary snappers at the back with each one having its own function. One captures the color of the images taken while the other can only see black, white, and other levels as well. These two cameras work in cooperation to produce more detailed images in good light and lower noise in lower lighting conditions.
2. Huawei went with a dual-LED flash setup for the P9 to help it under lower lighting conditions. However, there’s no Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), although that shouldn’t be too much of a problem since the monochrome snapper will assist in such conditions.
3. The company also packed in new features in the camera software. Users can choose from modes such as Photo, Monochrome, Beauty, Video, HDR, Beauty Video, Panorama, Night Shot, Light Painting, Time-Lapse, Slow-Mo, and Watermark. It can also shoot in RAW format.
4. The P9 features an aluminum build, and it’s reminiscent of the company’s Nexus 6p, which also features a camera strip and a fingerprint scanner at the back.
5. As far as the specifications go, the Huawei P9 is equipped with the company’s homegrown Kirin 955 chipset with an octa-core CPU. It also comes in two configurations: one with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage and another with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage. Prices start at around AU$900 (US$681).