The Gomorrah premiere telecast airs August 24 Wednesday on Sundance TV. The Italian crime drama series is set to take American television by storm with its authentic narrative of the mafia culture.
Sundance TV delivers yet another winning foreign series to American television. The Gomorrah premiere follows in the tradition of Cleverman from Australia, The Returned from France and Deutschland 83 from Germany. Thus, expect the appearance of subtitles. Nevertheless, their presence would not distract from the rugged charm of the series. Here are five secrets to learn about it beforehand.
1. Gomorrah is the small screen adaptation of a movie based on the international bestseller by Roberto Saviano of the same title. His writings exposed the secrets kept by the Camorra, hence the authenticity of its content. However, he remains under constant protection as a result.
2. The title would indicate a similarity to the city noted by the Bible in the Book of Genesis. Its setting shows corruption and destruction, according to Collider. Thus, it differs from the glitz and glamour often portrayed by other mafia-centric programs on TV or the big screen.
3. Gomorrah follows the Savastano clan. Don Pietro (Fortunato Cerlino) heads the Neapolitan crime family with his wife Donna Imma (Maria Pia Calzone). Their only son Gennaro (Salvatore Esposito) is not as tough as they hoped. Yet the presence of Ciro Di Marzio (Marco D’Amore) could bode well for the clan. However, Donna Imma is wary of his ambition.
4. The Huffington Post likened the phenomenon of the Italian crime drama series to Game of Thrones. However, unlike GoT, the violent world of Gomorrah has no heroes. Yet the monstrosity of their crimes features the dismal side of humanity.
5. The background for Gomorrah gives another look at Italy yet it does not offer a scenic tour of the much-loved travel destination. Instead, the series brings to light the less toured suburbs of Scampia and Secondigliano.