A Brisbane cruise has docked in the city after 140 passengers reported to be affected by a norovirus outbreak. The viral infection causes gastroenteritis, which comprises of a stomach and intestinal disease. The cruise arrived at the port after a 14-day trip from New Zealand.

It is the second time in a month when the Brisbane cruise suffered such a gastro outbreak. Queensland Health confirmed the cases of 140 passengers whereas people onboard expected the figures to be much higher. The ship was returning from Auckland. It stopped at Hamilton at 7 a.m. in the morning. The reports have suggested that the passengers of the cruise were undergoing a custom checking.

The earlier case of gastro outbreak on the Brisbane cruise was reported while it was on a trip to Papua New Guinea. The passengers have complained that the tour should have been postponed following the norovirus outbreak that caused 90 people to fall sick on the 12-day trip to PNG.

According to the reports, there were 2000 guests who were out of the ship when it docked in Brisbane on February 2. They waited for almost two hours until The Sun Princess got disinfected. In addition, the outbreak of norovirus was also reported in the Brisbane cruise in 2016.

Media Personnel Onboard Brisbane Cruise Shares Experience

A journalist from a reputed media network, Kathryn Perrott, was on the Brisbane cruise with her brother. She said that she left the vessel in new Zealand to depart for her home. She said they were scared of the infection as there were so many people who already caught the disease. Her brother had been severely ill in the past and hence he was even more scared of getting infected.

“We had cabins all around us being cleaned by people in hazmat suits,” ABC’s journalist Perrott said. “It was increasingly common to see those hazmat suits cleaning rooms during the cruise. It got to the point where there was an announcement over the loudspeaker from the captain saying that there was a high spike in norovirus cases on board the ship again. “That’s when me and my brother decided to go home.”

The journalist, who spent on fares, was refused compensation from the cruise authorities. Another passenger Andrew Carter and wife Charmaine said that they spent their life savings for the Brisbane cruise tour. “That’s all my life savings down the drain as far as I’m concerned,” he said. “They listen but don’t do anything and they say it’s not our responsibility. Weren’t interested.”

Also Read:

Appco Australia May Have Forced Staff for Pseudo Sexual Acts

World’s Deadliest MS-13 Gang in Australia, Victoria Police Warns