Actor Joe Manganiello has been confirmed to play a villain in the upcoming Batman movie.
Ben Affleck recently teased about DC villain Deathstroke. However, he did not mention who will be playing the role. Many speculate that it will be Manganiello, but DC has yet to confirm it at that time. Until now.
DC Entertainment president Geoff Johns confirmed in an interview with Wall Street Journal that the actor will indeed play the iconic villain. Manganiello also confirmed the news on Twitter.
Johns however refused to say whether or not Deathstroke will appear in the upcoming Justice League movie, which will debut on November 10, 2017. The film is currently in production in London.
Manganiello is the perfect actor to play the role. Deathstroke, a.k.a. Slade Wilson, has terrorized several DC superheroes. Wilson is a skilled assassin and a mercenary. Deathstroke’s extraordinary abilities and strength are due to a government-issued super serum. He has extreme skills in battlefield strategy as well.
Here are some facts about the Batman movie star that you should know.
1. The actor is best known for his long-running role as werewolf Alcide Herveaux in HBO’s True Blood and his portrayal as Big Dick Richie in the Magic Mike films.
2. He almost portrayed a superhero role. In 2011, Manganiello was asked to screen test for the title role of Superman in Man of Steel movie. However, he was forced out in the final stage due to scheduling conflict with True Blood. He told Access Hollywood in an interview: “They wanted me to screen test and they actually asked for my measurements for the suit and everything… We couldn’t get the schedule to work so that I could go off and screen test. So, regrettably, I never got to screen test, I never got to put the suit on.”
3. Manganiello can play comedy, too. He most recently appeared in Netflix’s Pee Wee’s Big Holiday alongside Paul Ruebens.
4. Manganiello is married to Modern Family star Sofia Vergara. The couple started dating in July 2014 and became engaged five months later. They tied the knot in Palm Beach, Florida on November 21, 2015.
5. The Magic Mike star looks like New Zealand actor Manu Bennett, who played Deathstroke in the Arrow television series.