Australia’s Most Wanted Terror Recruiter Is Dead: Reports

The most senior terror recruiter for the Islamic State group has been reported as dead by the local media on Sunday.

Australia-born Neil Prakash had alleged connections with the reported plotting to attack the Anzac Day commemorations. An IS member said that the news of his death was posted on Telegram, a messaging app used frequently by the members. He told Herald Sun Melbourne that he did not know him personally, but he heard of his death.

The newspaper gave no other details about the death besides reporting the death of Prakash who left Australia in 2013. Australian officers have not yet confirmed the death of the recruiter, but security sources have revealed that Prakash had been “quiet for some time.” Meanwhile, the news of his death has been communicated between the senior IS authorities.

According to Yahoo News, teen Farhad Jabar, who shot a Sydney police accountant Curtis Cheng in Parramatta in 2015, was in continuous communication with Prakash before the incident. According to News Corp, Jabar was also in contact with two other men including British fighter Raphael Hostey, who was Prakash’s reported follower in Syria.

There are records of message exchanges between Jabar and Prakash that date back to May 2015 which indicate their mutual complaints about the security laws of Australia.

In early 2015, Prakash issued a bomb threat on Twitter that prompted immediate grounding of three planes from Lufthansa, Etihad and Turkish Airlines in the Middle East. The Australian law enforcement agencies mentioned Prakash as one of the leading IS recruiters in Australia as stated by the Business Insider.

On the other hand, the spokesperson for Australia’s Attorney General George Brandis said that there was no confirmation available regarding the death reports of Prakash at the moment, mainly because of the severe security situations in Syria and Iraq.

To Top