The 16-year-old boy arrested for planning to carry out a terrorist attack on Anzac Day in Sydney has pleaded not guilty.
The 16-year-old’s lawyer, Zemarai Khatiz entered a not guilty plea on his behalf while appearing at the Parramatta Children’s Court on Tuesday.
On Monday, court documents disclosed that the teenager was booked after he tried to get a weapon on the weekend in Auburn in Sydney’s west.
It was suspected that he would be carrying out an Anzac Day terror attack.
According to Khatiz a bail application would be made on Friday. He will be also producing supporting evidence from a psychologist’s report.
The teenager was not present in court. The 16-year-old boy cannot be named for legal reasons. He was arrested near his Auburn home on Sunday by counter-terrorism police, says Daily Mail.
Police searched his family home. Although they did not find any weapons or explosives, they did discover an “extremist propaganda.”
Police carried out the search after the apprentice electrician allegedly sent messages on an encrypted mobile app wanting to buy a gun. The date April 25 was mentioned.
According to 9 News, the teenager first became noticeable to police last May. The boy was part of an investigation into a Melbourne terror plot.
It was reported that the plot was foiled on the eve of Mother’s Day. Police said that he has been in online communication with senior Australian Islamic State recruiter Neil Prakash.
After raiding the boy’s home, it was reported that he was signed up to an intervention programme. The programme is jointly run by the Australian Federal Police, NSW Police and Victorian Police.
Psychologists, teachers and religious leaders are involved in the programme. They work with the objective to “deradicalise” potential young terrorists.
The police said that they are expecting a bail application from the boy. However, the police said they will oppose the bail application.
The teenager has been booked for one count of acts in preparation for or planning a terrorist act. The entire act carries the highest penalty of life imprisonment.
NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said that the danger from the Anzac Day threat had been “thwarted.” He also said that he believed the teenager was acting alone.